Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

I have a 13 lb dachshund who sounds very congested and can

I have a 13 lb dachshund who sounds very congested and can hear the loose secretions as he breathes through his nose, kind of crackling and loose. He will cough and gag sometimes after he drinks water, sneezes during the daytimes, and has this reverse cough during the day at times. He is active and barks, and eats and drinks well. But sounds absolutely awful at sleep his pour nose has even blown bubbles once today. His has some drainage from his eyes which I wipe off with warm washcloth and sometimes the drainage feels sticky which reminds me of allergies. I cant get him to a vet till Friday would benedryl help him for the time being?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Biscuit. It definitely sounds like he has some major allergies going on but also a secondary bacterial infection is most likely in his upper respiratory system. So getting him in to see your vet will definitely be good because he will need to get started on antibiotics to clear all this up. But definitely in the mean time startling some benadryl will help somewhat. it will help with congestion and make him feel better until he can be seen. The dose of benadryl in dogs is 1 mg per pound every 8 to 12 hours. So start him on that tonight and continue until you can have him seen by your vet. He should feel better by morning but will most likely not be 100% until he gets anti biotics. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Debra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Biscuit. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead