Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hi. Today, I found a peach pit in my dog's mouth. I pulled it out and tossed it far in the yard where we do not allow the dog. He is 13 pounds. I took him out just now before going to sleep. He got something in his mouth and as I tried to pull it out, it went further in and he swallowed. I felt a lot like that darn pit. I searched the yard with a flashlight to see if I could find the pit I'd tossed to no avail. He seems good now.... should I just take him in for an x-ray first thing in
Also, he sleeps with my daughter, who I woke and told her to come get us if she wakes to him having trouble (she's a teen). I was just thinking that maybe it would be best to take him in with us tonight, instead?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. The Expert you requested is not available. I would be happy to assist you.This is a catch 22 situation. If this was an object that would be hard for Jimmy to pass, in regards XXXXX XXXXX size it could cause a blockage. If you went to the ER Vet tonight, they could X ray the abdomen and if;needed possibly remove the object using an Endoscope. If it is something the Vet feels will be able to pass, they will recommend a fiber diet to help it pass. If you wait until tomorrow they will do an X ray, but if it is too large you may be looking at a surgical removal, if the Vet feels the object will not pass. The choice would be yours if you want to wait until morning or go tonight. There is also the possibility, that whatever this is will pass with no problem at all. If you have any questions or need clarification, please let me know. Joan
Hi, Joan, thanks for the reply. Removing by endoscopy - if I'm not mistaken, could be just as expensive as reg surgery, no?
Am I a neglectful pet owner to wait until morning? In the meantime, whatever it is will just keep slowly moving down his system, right?
You are not neglectful to wait until the AM. I just let you know about the Endoscopy, because it can get it out before it can lodge vs waiting to see if a blockage would occur.
In either case you are looking at X rays and anesthesia. If he starts vomiting, gets lethargic, seems like he is having pain or cannot pass stool, then an ER Vet visit tonight would be needed. If all is quiet tonight, the morning should be ok. He may not have ingested anything that could cause a blockage and all will be well. An X ray will let use know what is happening and what will need to be done. You are correct it will slowly move through the GI tract. Joan