Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog has been squealing when I touch him in random places

My dog has been squealing when I touch him in random places over the past 2.5 days. First I thought it was a sore front leg but then he did the same thing in the face area, the other front leg and then today when I touched his back leg. He's a 17 lb yorkie/maltese cross and is 3.5 years old. We took him to the dog park yesterday and he was still running around as he normally does but today the daycare said he wasn't acting himself, didn't play with the other dogs and was acting timid (not himself at all). Any insight on what might be wrong? When I pick him up strictly touching just his body (not touching limbs) he is fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Jack is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is he eating and drinking normally?

How is he acting at home tonight?

If you try to move his head up and down and side to side does he act painful at all?

Any possible injury that you are aware?

Any tick exposure?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Candy,

He's eating and drinking normally. He's passed out right now which is pretty normal after a day at daycare however keep in mind he didn't do much playing. He doesn't act painful when I move his head around. No injury that I'm aware of.

He has been in the outdoors lots, possible exposure to ticks but I haven't found anything. The only thing that I'm wondering is that about 3 weeks ago I found a little lump on his spine and it looked like a little red pimple and wasn't painful to him at all so I have left it alone but it hasn't gone away. Since then it's gone back to skin color. Could that possibly be a tick?

Thank you,

Gabrielle

Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

The red bump that is now skin color is not likely a tick as they do not change color but it may be a tick bite.

When we hear pain in all limbs a few of the things that need to be considered are
* Herniation or compression of a disc in the neck or spine
* Pinched nerve
* Tick borne illness such as Lyme disease that is causing joint pain LINK
* Disseminated fungal infection such as valley fever effecting the joints. This is not common in all areas of the US and often makes them noticeably ill.

I wish I could tell you for sure what is going on but he with multiple limbs involved and the fact that it is now effecting his activity I really think a good hands on exam is going to be needed to narrow this down. Your vet may recommend a tick panel be sent out to rule out any tick born illness and possible x rays to look at the spine.

I would suggest keeping him calm and restricting his activity for the next few days and trying to get him in to see your vet.
I know no one wants to hear go to the vet but I think this would be in his best interest.
I would not give anything for pain at home as it will limit what your vet can give should they feel he needs it.

I hope he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.
Hi Gabrielle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Candy