Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a Cavachon that was born on 6/2/13. I have three questions: 1.

I have a Cavachon that was born on 6/2/13. I have three questions:
1. At what age does he get his rabies shot? He got his initial shots and forgot what the vet said about his rabies?
2. The dog is determined to eat poop. HOW do I stop this horrible behavior. I live in a area that is filled with deer and he is determined to eat it!
3. I am currently crating him and at most will leave him four hours now, but during the night he is fine for eight hours. Is is ok at this age to leave him during the day for eight hours? Thank you!
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Congratulations on the addition of Scruffy to your family.

Rabies vaccines are given between 12 and 16 weeks of age vets vary on this. If he only got one set of his initial shots then this is not enough to protect him. Core vaccines need to be given 3 times for him to be protected against things like Parvo and distemper.

As for poop eating this is very common and much easier to work on if it is his own feces and not that of other animals. To stop this you are going to have to keep him on a leash and work on teaching him the leave it command. Here is information on how to teach this command.

As for the crating it really would not be recommended to leave him crated for 8 hours at night and 8 hours during the day at this age. That leaves only 8 hours that he is out to play, get exercise, learn potty training and socialization which is very very important at this stage of the game. If you have to work then I would suggest either coming home at lunch or getting someone to come in half way through the day to take him out and give him some human interaction.

I hope this helps answer all of your questions. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scruffy. How is everything going?