Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

HI XXXXX has woken up several times in the past

HI XXXXX has woken up several times in the past few months, runs down the hall and then stares back up the hall while shaking. It usually takes 15 minutes or so before he will go back down the hall. Could this be something medical or are Max and I going crazy? thankyou for your assistance.
Hi there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, let me gather more information. How old is the home/apartment in which you live? Is he always sleeping in the same room when this happens? Does he seem responsive to you when these episodes occur?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your quick reply. it does seem to happen when he is in the same room although I couldn't say that with absolute certainty. Our home is 25 years old. And he's definitely distracted during these events, he will occasionally look at me so I think hes at least aware that I'm there but very distracted, If I stand in front of him and block the hallway he will look around me, so I don;t think it's a seizure although that may just be wishful thinking. finally after about 10 - 15 minutes he has calmed down but will not go down the hall for another 15 minutes or so? Not sure this will help, but he's been having some issues that his vet thinks may be lupus I believe, he is still being tested so not confirmed.

Okay. I agree that this does not sound like a typical seizure-like episode, but there are types of seizures that dogs can have, especially upon waking, where they can be looking around and aware of their owner, but stare off into space, or stare into a corner, etc. Your dog is just at the cutoff age where epilepsy can appear for the first time, so that may be a possibility. If it continues to happen I would talk to your vet about possible blood work to rule out a metabolic cause for possible seizures.

Dogs have heightened senses compared to humans, and sometimes they can hear things in the walls/floorboards like mice, bats, etc., so that could be a possibility. They can also hear bugs and such behind walls.

(Now, this is going to sound odd, but as an aside, I do have a friend who had a home where he and his roommate and their friends had all seen at various times a ghost in the house, and the ghost seemed to stay in and around the same room. Sometimes their dog would wake up and do exactly what you are describing, and would always look in the area of that same room, and was very agitated and nervous. I know that might sound odd, but I think that it a possibility.)

I would keep track of these episodes on a calendar so that, in the event that it starts to seem like a seizure-like episode, you can accurately tell your vet how often it is happening. Hope this helps... best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your observations. I was trying really hard to stay away from the possibility of ghosts because I didn't want to sound insane. But I have to admit it made it a little scary for me to go into my roomCool As for now, I'd much rather it be a ghost than anything wrong with my boy! have a great day

Ha! I was hesitant to mention it, because I can assure you that I am very much a "skeptic" when it comes to that kind of thing and I am as far as you can get from being a kook. ;) Keep a calendar or notebook of the occurrences and then discuss with your vet if it happens once a month or more. I would start with baseline blood work and go from there. Hope this has helped! Please remember to rate my service. Have a great day!
Hi Glen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Ann M.