Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 7 month old lab/hound mix. The last time she ate was

I have a 7 month old lab/hound mix. The last time she ate was Saturday morning. It is now Monday night. The stool from the food Saturday came out very loose. I took her to the vet this morning and they gave me a very bland soft food for her to eat but she is refusing that as well. She has eaten a few bits of kibble but then proceeds to throw them up within no more than 20-30 minutes. She is not drinking water either. The vet said she was not showing signs of dehydration and her temp, fecal sample, gums, etc were all normal. I do not know what to do and am getting very worried about her. I have had her since she was 2 months and she has never done this before. She has gotten all of her shots (none were recent so I do not believe it is a reaction to anything).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Daisy is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Was Saturday the last time she passed stool as well?

Does she ever eat things that she should not such as toys clothing etc?

Did your vet do or recommended x rays?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

She passed a stool Sunday afternoon but it was not much. I assumed from breakfast Saturday.

She sometimes chews on things such as shoes etc but she has NEVER actually eaten them. She barely leaves teeth marks. It is more of a attention thing when I'm not playing with her. In the time I have had her she hasn't torn up a single toy I have bought her.

He said if she doesn't start eating in the next 2 days to bring her in and he will do xrays, bloodwork, etc. His reason for postponing this is because other than the fact she is not eating she seems fine and healthy. I am worried about waiting that long though and wanted to get a second opinion.

Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

With a dog this age displaying these symptoms especially the not passing stool and the vomiting with in a short time after eating x rays would be one of the first things that would have been recommended in our office. This is because young dogs are notorious for eating things they should not and it is not uncommon for the owner to not know.

All of these symptoms can be a sign of a gastrointestinal blockage. My concern with waiting for an additional 2 days is that if this is the cause then there is a risk of perforation of the intestines or even dying off of the intestines in the area the object is stuck.

I would suggest going back to the vet tomorrow and ask for x rays. If these are clear then the next step would be blood work to look for problems such as pancreatitis.
Also if they only check the stool in the office then sending it out to the lab would be recommended,

If this was my dog or one of our patients I would say do not wait for 2 days for the x rays I would rather do them sooner and there not be a blockage then to allow it to stay in place for 2 more days if there is.
Here is some additional information on gastrointestinal blockages LInk

If he vomited the food he had last I would not even offer any until you can call your vet in the morning.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ashley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Candy