Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

After retrieving a few this afternoon, my 4-year-old

After retrieving a few balls this afternoon, my 4-year-old Briard suddenly dropped the ball, walked off the lawn for just a few seconds then slowly walked over to me. She normally wants to play much longer than that. We returned inside, and a few minutes later she started dry-heaving with a deep, belch-like sound. She did this a dozen or so times over the next few minutes, never throwing up. Since then, she's been listless and has made the same deep belch-like sound a couple of times. She's also been sporadically panting rather deeply since we came inside, but her breathing for the most part seems normal.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Lia. I am very concerned that Lia might be suffering from bloat. The signs we normally see are dry heaving and possibly belching. Her stomach possibly is full of gas and twisted on itself inside which is a life threatening situation. Unfortunately the only way to determine this is to have her seen, examined and possible x rays. This will tell the doctor exactly what her stomach is doing. In this situation there really isn't time to wait and see because the longer you wait the more damage is done and the less chance she will recover. We usually see them continue to dry heave when they are bloated but it they do not have to do that 100% of the time. You do not necessarily have to see their tummy bloated either it all can happen inside. So in this case I have to recommend contacting your vet or taking her to an emergency hospital to be seen. Worse case scenario is it truly is bloated and or twisted and possibly will need surgery to fix her, best case scenario is she has an upset tummy a little bit and they can give her meds to settle down. Just can't take a chance in this case. I wish i could give you an easy at home remedy but not in Lia's case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much; we're taking her to the 24-hour emergency vet in our city now.

Perfect! I hope everything is ok but you gotta be sure. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so i receive credit for my time. Thank you!