Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Hi Cher, My shitzu ate 1/2 a grape, we were able to get

Hi Cher,

My shitzu ate 1/2 a grape, we were able to get the other half out of his mouth. We gave him hydrogen peroxide (at the vets request) about 3tbs but he did not vomit. We're not sure what to do at this point.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. Cher is not available, but I will be happy to assist you.

How long ago did you give the Peroxide?

How much does Blade weigh?

When you gave the Peroxide did you jog him or jostle his stomach?

Was the bottle new?

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Thank you so much..

How long ago did you give the Peroxide?

-about a 1/2 hr away

How much does Blade weigh?

-about 20 pounds

-yes

Was the bottle new?

-yes

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

We can redo the peroxide again, since he did not vomit the first time. Please feed blade a small piece of bread before giving the Peroxide. The normal dose to induce vomiting is 1 teaspoon full per 10 pounds of body weight. So we can give 2 teaspoons full to the back of the tongue after feeding the bread. usually when they eat something first it works better. Once you have given the dose, jostle the stomach well and then jog him around. This should work. If it does not, you can take him into the Vet and have them use Apomorphine to induce vomiting, or wait until tomorrow and take him and have some blood work to check Kidney function. I have seen dogs eat a dozen grapes with no problem and then others to have problems with just one. I will stand by for you. Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok we will try that right now. Does it matter if the bread is wheat bread?

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

It does not matter on type of bread, what we want is something going down into the stomach to help get the vomiting started. I wanted to give you this link about Grape Toxicity: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/f/grape_raisin.htm Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. We just did the bread and peroxide again, my husband is outside jogging him now.

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Have him shake his stomach around. That will also help. If this does not work, as I said you have the choice of taking him into the Vet for the Apomorphone, activated charcoal and some fluids, or you can try and see if he has any issues as mentioned in the link above and have him checked in the morning for Kidney function. This is a hard call since it is not documented on the amount that can cause problems. It is a case by case basis. Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay. We have been doing both and he hasn't vomited. Thank you so much for your help. I guess we will have to wait and see at this point. :(

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

We have done all we can as far as inducing vomiting at home. I am hoping that he will be ok with no further problems. Please let me know if you have further questions or anything else I can assist you with. My goal is to give you and Blade 100% Excellent Service and I hope I have met that goal tonight. Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you again. One more quick question, the hydrogen peroxide won't hurt him, since he hasn't thrown it up, will it?

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

It is an irritant and that is why it is used to induce vomiting. Late this evening you can give him 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid AC which will settle his stomach if irritated: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx You can also offer a bland diet of skinless boiled chicken breast 1 part to 3 parts white rice. That should help him if he is feeling a little icky from the Peroxide. Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you again. We really appreciate it.

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome! Please do not forget to rate my service before leaving the site, so I can be compensated for my answer. I will check back on Blade in a couple of days. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I am just checking in to see how Blade is doing. Hope all is well!
Joan