Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a terrier mix. (Cairn and some other kind of terrier).

I have a terrier mix. (Cairn and some other kind of terrier). Itching to death especially on her back above her hind quarters.
1.No fleas
2.I changed the food to Blue Buffalo, didn't help
3.Gave her Pro-Sense Allergy Relief tablets, didn't help
4. Using Adams Skin Medication for the Hot Spots
5. Use NaturVet Septiderm-V Skin Care Lotion. Seems to help for a little whie if I soak her good with it
6. We give her a bathe every 5 days with Pro-Sense Hydracortisone Shampoo

I am unemployed right now and can't afford a Vet. Can you give me any ideas of what to try?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear that Tinker is having some trouble with itching. I just have a few questions so I can be assist you.

What type of flea prevention are you using?

Where else besides the back end is she itching the most?

What formula Blue buffalo are you using and when did you switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Hartz Ultra Guard

2. Legs

3. Wilderness High Protein - Small Breed. Changed 3 weeks ago from Purina Lil Bites.

Thank you for the additional information.

One of the first things I would suggest is switching flea preventions. One of the most common reasons for itching in these areas is an allergy to fleas. In all honesty Hartz products do not work and they have a very high rate of adverse reactions. Dog that have flea allergies will react not only to the bite of the flea but also to the saliva left behind.It only takes the bite of one flea to set off a reaction. I would suggest Advantage which is now available over the counter at most pet stores.
Here is additional information on flea allergies LINK

I have also reviewed the ingredients in the allergy tabs and not sure how they would even work on itching so I would not waste any more money on those. What you can use instead is human Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-10 hours. Using generic is fine.

I doubt this is do to the food as with food allergies we also see in most cases itching in the ears and paws as well. If this was due to food then it can take as long as 12 weeks to see a difference.

I would also suggest not bathing as often as this strips the natural oils from the skin and can make itching worse.

I would switch flea preventions and try the Benadryl and hopefully this will help.

One other thing that may be helpful is to add Omega fatty acids to the diet daily.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.