Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

Does Prednisone work immediately on pain, or does it take some

Does Prednisone work immediately on pain, or does it take some time? We tried to ween Sinbadd off the prednisone but he got worse, in fact as bad as he had been, falling to the ground, doing a lot of yelping. We had yet to increase his Tramadol because I didn't read your instructions right. When I revisited what you had said, we increased his Tramadol but we were afraid to take him off the prednisone because he was so bad. Our plan is to take him in for a second opinion. In the mean time we want to try and ween him off the prednisone as previously planned since we are past the weekend. We need to know if the prednisone does help with the pain and if we take him off if the Tramadol is going to be able to handle it alone.

Dr. J. :

Hi, yes Prednisone does help with pain. The reason it works on pain is because it is a very potent anti-inflammatory. Most pain comes from some type or level of inflammation within the body. Tramadol is not an anti-inflammatory but works on pain with a similar type of action as narcotics by affecting certain receptors in brain that perceive pain. I hope this helps you. If you have any other concerns, please let me know. Good luck with Sinbadd. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank You! I was under the impression that Prednisone had to build up in the system and that it would take some time. I'm assuming then that it can work as immediately as Tramadol, even though it is on a different system of operation. Is that right?

Dr. J. :

Prednisone does take at least 24-48 hours to have a good anti-inflammatory effect. Tramadol works a little faster......Dr.J

Dr. J. :

Did you have any other questions?

Dr. J. :

Let me know if you need anything else.Sincerely, Dr.J

Please let me know if I can help you further with Sinbadd. I hope he does ok. Sincerely, Dr. J