Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

Hi, i have a 1 year old Rottie, that started getting scratches

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 1 year old Rottie, that started getting scratches under his chin, they seemed to have scabbed over. i was assuming that his girlfriend (also 1) was play biting him, they always horse around. anyway, now i noticed he has pink spots on top of his lip, under his nose. - should I be concerned is this battle scars or is this a more serious problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 10 months ago.

Theresa :

What type of bowl does he eat out of?

Customer:

HI, its a stainless steel bowl, elevated in his crate

Theresa :

Does he do a lot of chewing on sticks, rawhides, other objects?

Theresa :

From the way you describe it, it sounds like a contact allergy of some type. We most commonly see this when eating out of plastic bowls. Since that is not the case I would lean toward licking or frequent chewing on bones or other toys that can keep the mouth moist and cause irritation to the skin.

Customer:

We switched his food about 5 weeks back to (Orijen, Regional Red + Adult mix 50/50) from the LBP Puppy they offered (Orijen)

Customer:

He also does chew dental rawhide, but hasn't had any in a few days.

Customer:

http://imgur.com/D64pECR

Customer:

http://imgur.com/45gD68T

Customer:

http://imgur.com/XqMV8ME

Customer:

that last one is the best photo of his lip, the first one is the best of his chin

Theresa :

This really looks like it is from something he has been chewing on? Any chewing or licking of his skin anywhere? It appears he has worn away the pigment.

Theresa :

I am going to look at the rest of the pics.

Customer:

He also gets little scabs on his elbows as does our other Leeta, i don't know what they are from either.

Theresa :

Do they chew on eachother a lot?

Theresa :

Okay, Under the neck area looks like she is either chewing on him or he is scratching him self there. Does he seem itchy anywhere else?

Customer:

not itchy anywhere else, they do bite each other, and she does chew on his whole face, as if she is clamping down on his muzzle

Customer:

he also does scratch under his chin, i noticed just the other day

Theresa :

Ok. I suggest picking up some zymox from your local feeder supply if you have one or another pet store. Yes, it is an ear cleanser but has some product in it that will help to decrease inflammation and treat mild infections. You can put this on a piece of gauze and rub his chin with it twice daily. This should help to heal up the area. An e-collar can be used to prevent the area from getting worse with his scratching.

Customer:

zymox, I have, i believe i bought some of it for our other dog when her ear was yeasty.

Customer:

will the pigmentation come back?

Theresa :

For the lips, this really is from a lot of chewing I feel. However, if it seems to keep getting worse or involves the top of his nose I would suggest having him evaluated. It could be an allergy or an inflammatory process.

Theresa :

In most cases it does. But of course if it is from chewing on things then the act of chewing on objects would have to stop. If it is allergy related then isolating the allergen would be best but that is a tough one and it is usually affecting more than just this area.

Customer:

i was thinking maybe an allergy due to his new adult diet, but i wasn't sure.

Theresa :

What are the chances he touched something hot like a grill or stove?

Customer:

i don't feel it's a burn, he does dig in the dirt, so maybe his digging and the abrasion from the dirt has caused some of this pinkness

Customer:

but it's the first i notced it just now and was concerned because of his chin area too.. so i thought maybe they were combined

Theresa :

Probably not the food. Digging in the dirt could easily do this. The neck issue is from the two of them chewing on eachother and then he continuing to scratch the area with his back feet.

Customer:

yeah that's what I've noticed, but thought an expert was more subjective to answer this.. so the ear care zymox (i got the generic from amazon) that's ok to put around his lips?

Customer:

pet king, or king pet or somet brand like that

Customer:

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-King-Enzymatic-Solution-Ounces/dp/B0025YOJXS

Theresa :

I wouldn't put it around his lips but you can clean his chin and neck with it. The lips will heal fairly quickly as long as he stops digging in the dirt and causing continued abrasions to it.

Theresa :

Generic zymox is fine for under the chin and neck.

Customer:

ok, so rub in the zymox on his under mouth area. let that suffice to heal, and then the lips, just keep an alert on to be sure that it's not growing or bleeding more.

Theresa :

Usually the pigment comes back within a week to 2 weeks.

Customer:

what about the chunks of stuff on his knees

Customer:

they look like hard calisuses

Theresa :

Exactly. Man I love Rotti's and the young ones are so curious and into everything.

Theresa :

The calluses on his elbows are pretty normal especially if he is laying on harder surfaces. Most dogs will have them when they are older but some can start getting them as young as 10 months of age.

Theresa :

Are these his elbows, front legs?

Customer:

yeah they lay on the back patio, and his crate is plastic tray as well as we have hard wood floors... so that's going to alwasy remain there then the calluses? Yes, his elbows

Customer:

front and rear

Theresa :

The ones on his elbows will most likely remain for life. It is less common to see them on the knees but some do have them. They are pressure points where they lay on them the most. Any chance he is not a chewer and could have a soft bed to lie on?

Customer:

http://rottie.dogfriendzy.com/Customer

Customer:

i tried a place board that was elevated mesh yesterday. he chewed the mesh and hated it

Customer:

he's a boy - we are set in our ways, lol

Customer:

ok, i think this solves the issues... real quick. do you know what would get rid of cat pee from a bedroom carpet? my 2 - 17 year old cats urinated in my daughters bedroom carpet/closet and we can't get rid of the smell... tried natures miracle - wasn't so miracilous

Theresa :

The calluses are harmless and not of concern. However, starting so young he will likely have some pretty good sized ones in the next couple years. Its fine some get them more than others it is just how he prefers to lay.

Theresa :

His chewing of the mesh yesterday might have something to do with the lips today.

Customer:

Ahhh. there ya go!!!

Customer:

mesh = rough face

Customer:

also his lip nipple things (bumps) are really pink and appear slightly swollen..

Customer:

cheek area

Theresa :

This is the product I used for my cats when they urinated on the carpets. It worked great.

Customer:

Perfect! Thanks so much for your help.. now i need to get the blacklight and investigate where the pee is

Customer:

im happy with my results. i hope you get your 20 bucks from this :)

Theresa :

Just in case he is having an allergic reaction to something try benedryl for him 1mg per pound. So if he is 50lbs he would get 50mg. It is harmless but see if it works. Might make him a little sleepy.

Theresa :

All you need to do is rate my responses and you are good to go. You have a good night now.

Customer:

yeah we gave our older rottie aja benedryl when she was unable to move due to an arthritic hip... poor things.. dogs are awesome...

Customer:

thanks again Theresa

Theresa :

Sorry to hear about aja.

Theresa :

You are very welcome.

Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Expert:  Theresa replied 10 months ago.
How is Cyrus feeling today. Any improvement in the lip, chin and neck? Hopefully he will outgrow his chewing phase.

Theresa
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

His chin is improving a bit, his lips are slightly better. I did notice another area that has hair missing, I don;t know if this is his holding hand when he chews his rawhide/dental chews or not. It almost looks like crusty rawhide, but its his hair patch. I hope this isn't something more serious like mange or allergy.