Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I was cutting away some natted hair at my dogs "front elbow"

I was cutting away some natted hair at my dog's "front elbow" area and took a chunk of skin with it
I obviously exposed underneath the skin, but didn't cut into the tissue
Since she is a bird dog, i have an emergency kit and used EMT Gel I have (natural hydrolsyate of collagen) on it and then wrapped it in gauze. She was not gushing blood and there was not a flow of blood. I called the vet er and all she did was give me prices for the visit, even though I had asked if this warrented a visit, she said it was up to me. should I go? the cut is right over the elbow as I said, but my dog doesn't seem to be phased by the whole event
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. I would have her visit the vet just for the simple fact that this can get infected, so antibiotic therapy is usually necessary to prevent that. Plus, it is very difficult for wounds to heal in this area. It isn't an emergency situation, though. It sounds like you have done well with it initially. The advantage to having it evaluated now is to see if it needs sutures. When suturing a wound, it is best done within 6 hours of the incident. Past that point, the risk of it coming back open (from infection, swelling or dead tissue) is higher. If it looks deep, it would be best to have it sutured today. If it looks superficial, it will most likely heal on its own, unless it gets infected. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So i need to go to the ER for stitches now it sounds?

Yeah. If it is deep, it is better to have it sutured up. If it is not sutured, it will take a longer time to heal and may be more prone to infection. It may not heal very well at all. If it is superficial (just through the top layer of the skin), that may not be necessary. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK - one last question - as I am not a doctor of any kind - how can I tell the difference between the top layer of the skin and her muscle tissue?

You have been helpful, just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I already cal;led the ER but had to leave a message, so I am hoping they call back shortly

No problem. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the different. A superficial laceration just goes through the top layer of skin. There is usually not a "chunk" taken out. With a deeper laceration, you can usually fit the tip of your pinky finger into it. You may see muscle, but it could just be more yellowish fatty tissue. The picture on the website below is more of a deep laceration.

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/images/orthopedics/tendon_digital_tear/digit4.jpg

With a superficial laceration, the skin is barely separated. It may be more the width of a nickel

I hope this clears up the different for you. If it doesn't, please let me know.

Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience