Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog is sluggish and wont eat. Its rainy and she will get

My dog is sluggish and won't eat. It's rainy and she will get sluggish then but after a while. This has been since we got up. I noticed a little bit ago she was drooling a little. At times her breathing is a little heavy. what's going on?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Lily is not feeling well. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is she spayed , if not when was her last heat cycle?

Any recent change in her diet, new treats, human foods etc?

Can you take a rectal temp?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any chance she got in to something she should not have?

What color are her gums and tongue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is not spayed, her last cycle was April. No change in diet. She only new treat is a couple of days ago I gave her a shortbread cookie made for dogs. My husband may have given her a pizza crust last night but that hasn't bothered her before. I am unable to take a temp. no diarrhea or vomiting. Her gums seem to be a normal healthy pink color. She does have a steady stream of drool, granted its not bad but typically she drools is she's hungry or gets excited.

Thank you for the additional information.

Drooling can be due to nausea, dental problems, trouble swallowing or stress ( are there thunder storms in the area) just to name a few things.
If she is not eating she may be having some stomach upset. It could be due to the pizza crust or just like humans that can get upset stomach for no known cause.
You could try Pepcid AC to see if this helps settle her stomach. This is dosed at 0.25 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. I would wait 30 minutes after the Pepcid and see if she will eat something bland such as boiled chicken or hamburger with boiled rice, scrambled egg, cottage cheese.If you do not have Pepcid, then Pepto bismol can be used at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 6-8 hours.

I would check in her mouth look for any broken teeth, swollen gums or anything stuck in the roof of her mouth.

I would also try to get a temp. Normal is 100.5-102.5 anything over 103.5 or under 100 requires immediate medical care.

If this continues for more then 24 hours I would suggest having her seen by your vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have pepto pills not the liquid. But if she won;t eat, how can i administer it?

You can either put the pill in the back of the throat, try covering with peanut butter or butter ( some dogs will lick that even if they do not want to eat) or you could dissolve in a tablespoon of water and give with a syringe