Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have shitzu maltese mix 5 year old spayed, female dog. Her

I have shitzu maltese mix 5 year old spayed, female dog. Her teeth are in terrific shape, does not have a skin condition, anal glands are clean. ears are clear, high quality dog food (no people food) and very healthy according to 4 vets. The problem is she smells really bad after being outside, particularly in the sun and heat. She is on a leash and is not rolling around in anything. It was bad in Seattle with the cool weather but now in Florida it is not tolerable.
What can we do about her BO?
I have been using a product from Pro-Sense that is a odor elimainating coat mist. It is unscented and really helps. The problem is she needs to be sprayed several times a day.
What is everyone missing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having some trouble with Poppy even more so since you have moved to Florida. I too live in Florida and have shih-tzu's and this is not an uncommon problem.

I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Exactly what food is she on?

How often is she groomed/bathed? How short is her hair?

Does she itch at all?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Candy for your help.

She gets dried dog food with 1T. canned dog food mixed in.There was a pet health food store in Washington where we tried numerous varieties.
Here she is on Pure Balance lamb and brown rice dry food with Pedigree 1 T. wet. Selection varies

She is groomed every 3 months and bathed once a week. Right now her hair is practicaly shaved to help with the heat. She is very "hot blooded"

We are walking at night so she isn't in the sun and possible sun burn.

No itching or scratching ever

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Having dealt with this myself as well as having several clients dealing with this I do have a few suggestions.

The dry food is good but I would suggest switching the canned to one with no grains including corn wheat or soy. Grains in some dogs increase yeast production causing them to be smelly. If you notice no difference after 4 weeks then I would also change the dry to one with no rice use on that has either potato, tapioca or lentil for carbs.

Do not bath once a week on a regular bases. I know this is to help with the smell but this can actually increase it as it strips the natural oils from the skin. What you can do instead is rinse her once a weeks with a baking soda water mixture let sit for 5 minutes and rinse with cool water.To get a hold on the smell before starting the rinses bath with human selson blue shampoo twice this week then once the following week then just use the rinses only bathing when she is groomed.

Add omega fatty acids to her diet. This can be given in pill, liquid or treat form. If using the treats make sure they too are grain free.

I would try all of the above for a few weeks and I really think you will see the smell dissipate if not disappear completely.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What about probiotics? She was passing gas several years ago and I sprinkled 1/8 0f a capsule in her food and this stopped the gas problem.

She has had 2 ear infections over the years that were treated with antibiotics. No vet told me to give probiotics, post antibiotics so yeast could well be a problem.

Do you have a recommendation of what kind of probiotics would work well for yeast in dogs?

Thank you Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Probiotics may help with the skin but they will help for sure with digestive. In our office we recommend FortiFlora LINK however human Culturell at half a human dose can also be used.

Try pulling the ears back once or twice daily for 30 minutes to let air flow in as the heat can also cause yeast in the ears and make them smelly

Please let me know how things are going
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer