Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I live in the country and am taking care of my sons Pit Bull

I live in the country and am taking care of my son's Pit Bull while he is working out of town. She is up to dat on all of her shots and is 3 yrs old. She is restless, twitching a lot when she is asleep and last evening she was chasing some animal outside (don't know what). When I got her inside, she was panting heavily and twitching. I finally got her calmed down. She has been eating and drinking and is having okay body functions. Then tonight, she threw up. It was not liquid...more like chunks of chicken. She does act depressed. Can you help me?

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're seeing signs of some type of neurologic toxin. My guess would be that she ate something moldy- an animal or garbage, ect. That will cause nausea, twitching and lethargy.

Typically these signs go away on their own over 24-48 hours on their own. I would just try to get fluids (water, gatorade, pedialyte) into her to help flush it out.

If you notice seizures or whole body tremors, then I would get to a vet where anti-tremor meds can be given. If the signs are mild, then we usually just let them sleep it off and let them resolve on their own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a feeling it is more than you say! She is very lethargic. Guess I will try to get her in to see the vet asap. Other than the vomiting, the other symptoms have been going on for a while. She has extremely bad breath and swallows often. On her chest area there is a thci mass that myson says is muscle. There again, I don't think so! Motherly instinct I guess. Any other info or advice? Thanks

If she's that lethargic, then it sounds like she should be seen and likely get x-rays done. It may be an obstruction in her intestine. I would start with x-rays and then do bloodwork if needed. That should give you answers on what's going on.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mommas. How is everything going?