Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Could our Pit Bull be misdiagnosed to have Spondylosis when

Could our Pit Bull be misdiagnosed to have Spondylosis when he just has a bad case of arthritis and is it alright to give him Rimadyl 100mg along with Prednisone and Tramadol 50mg?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 10 months ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Sinbadd. Spondylosis is just the bridging of the vertabrae in the spine as a dog ages. It does not necessarily cause pain. It can be painful though and can occur at the time time as arthritis. Arthritis will cause more pain then spondylosis in most cases. But yes bad arthritis can be confused for spondylosis in x rays. If that makes sense. Also you can NOT give rimadyl and prednisone together. It will cause horrible gastrointestinal issues, ulcers and even perforations. It is safe to give rimadyl, and tramadol together or prednisone and tramadol together. Just NOT rimadyl and prednisone. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We woke up one morning lately to Sinbadd laying in the yard yelping in pain like we have never ever heard him before. We weren't able to get him to the Vet because I was out of town and I have to take him. The Vet was nice enough to provide some pain meds, Tramadol and Rimadyl 100mg and in about 3 days when I could get him to the Vet to be x-rayed he was doing great, even jumping and playing to the point that we thought we needed to calm him down. The Vet diagnosed him with Spondylosis and gave him Prednisone in place of the Rimadyl and he doesn't seem to be doing well at all now. He is hobbling, in some pain, and very slow. We wonder if he needs to be off the Prednisone and back on the Rimadyl and if he was misdiagnosed. We saw the x-rays but we couldn't tell, of course, and we are concerned that he isn't better but worse. It's only been two days. What do you think we should do?

I would be concerned that he isn't doing as well on the prednisone. You have to wean him off of it though you just can't stop prednisone cold turkey so cut the dose in half and give it a few days then go every other day for a few times then stop. Then wait 3 days and start the rimadyl again. I would definitely stick with the rimadyl because he can stay on that long term if he does well on it. He may need it the rest of his life if his back is bothering him and he has those changes. he cannot stay on prednisone for ever. So in this case rimadyl is a much better choice. I would definitely stick with the tramadol also it is safe to give that at a dose of 2 -3 mg per pound every 8 hours if he is that painful so you may have room to increase the tramadol also. I hope this helps and I hope getting him back on the rimadyl helps him out. In my experience I rarely find spondylosis to cause that much pain it is usually the arthritis.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank You So Much!! That really helps! We started him on the Prednisone with one dose yesterday and two doses today, ( I'm not sure the MG). Would we still need to follow those directions of cutting it back? If so, that's exactly what we want to do.

You are very welcome. Thats good he hasn't been on the prednisone long. So I would give him one dose tomorrow then stop it. Then wait and start the rimadyl again on Monday. just watch for an upset tummy. If it occurs start him on some pepcid 1 tablet twice daily.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You have to have the Rimadyl prescribed right? I don't know if his current Vet would agree to that. What signs would be there if he did have a bad case of Spondylosis? I'm assuming he would become paralyzed or very immobile.

yes rimadyl is prescription. If your vet will not agree to it, which they have no reason to since it worked much better for him, then seek a second opinion. A bad case of spondylosis will just cause decreased mobility in the spine not paralysis he just may not be able to bend and move around as well.
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, you've really answered our questions! Our vet said that this would eventually take him out and that we would have to bring him in at some point to put him down because of this, so you can imagine how distressed we were, he's been part of the family for 12 years! You have helped us so much!! Thanks again!!! I'll give you the best rating!

You are very welcome. I appreciate the rating.