Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog was spayed 8 days ago. Since then, she has urinated

My dog was spayed 8 days ago. Since then, she has urinated in the house about twice a day - something she did not do before - and a few days ago we notice blood in the urine and a stringy, bloody mucus that comes out of her vagina. We took her to the vet a couple of hours ago. She did not do an ultrasound but prescribed carprodyl and efloxicin and told us to call in a few days to say how she is. The dog is eating fine and seems content and energetic but I am worried since the discharge seems to be more than it was when it initially started. She turned 1 on August 4th and had a heat in May.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Ginger is having some trouble. It is not uncommon to see dogs develop a urinary tract infection soon after a spay and it sounds like this is what your vet is treating for. Blood and mucus in the urine are symptoms we often see with a UTI or even inflammation of the bladder.

While it is always your option to get a ultrasound done it is to something that we would typically do so I do not think this is something your vet did wrong.

As long as she is eating and otherwise acting normal then I would give her a few days on the medication and see how she does. Of course if she starting passing straight blood, stops eating or declines in any way then I would have her seen again.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We took a urine sample to the vet's today and the vet said there was no blood in the urine

Ok if you saw intermittent blood it may just be from some inflammation as the bladder is moved around during a spay surgery and this can cause some irritation. It could also just have been some left over blood coming down from the uterine stump and it was not actually in the urine but in the vulva itself. If she was having problems such as bleeding complications then I would not expect to see her eating and acting energetic
Hi Tanya,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?