Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 13 year old dalmatian Emmy is losing control of her bowels.

Customer Question

My 13 year old dalmatian Emmy is losing control of her bowels. She goes #2 in her sleep...she sleeps on my bed with me. I will wake up and find that she has gone and she is still asleep and doesn't even realize it. She also will be standing and eating her food and it will just fall out of her. Is there anything I can do and what does this mean?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. Think of humans for a minute... older people in nursing homes have to wear diapers because their anal tone (the strength of the anal sphincter muscles) decreases with age. That is what is happening to your dog, and it isn't her fault, but there is not much that you can do about it, unfortunately. This is just an old age thing. If there was a treatment or medication for it, they would be giving it to humans instead of having them wear diapers. Frown You can try having her wear diapers for dogs... you can buy those at pet stores. Alternately, you can have your vet prescribe a diet called Low Residue... that is a prescription diet that has very few fillers, so it can decrease the amount of feces produced and make it so that she doesn't have to defecate as often, which may help. Dealing with aging issues with our pets is difficult, and I wish you the best of luck. Take care.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ann:

Thank you for answering so promptly. Sadly I was afraid that was going to be the answer. It is heart breaking to see because once she is aware of what has happened you can tell she knows that normally that would not be acceptable. But I cannot scold her for it....I just pet her and kiss her and tell her that I love her.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is hard, especially for the good dogs that know that they aren't supposed to do that. :( I see that you have rated my service as "Ok". Is there a way I can better assist you or further answer your questions? It is always my goal to provide excellent service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You provided fine service. No worries on that part. I appreciate your time and advice. I am just very saddened by this and have been for quite some time.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so sorry that you are dealing with this. Take care.
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Emmy. How is everything going?

Ann M.