Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi, My dog wont sit inside

I forgot to say that she behaved this way on Monday night, but not so intensely, Tues and Wed seemed fine. Hi, My 11 year old, 70 lb., shepherd mix can't seem to sit still inside only. She'll sit for 2 seconds then maybe try one more place for 2 seconds then ask rather urgently to go outside. If she goes in the front, she sits on the porch just fine or in the grass, or once for a long time in a bed of ivy (fairly unusual for her to lay there); in the back she sits in a hole she has previously dug in the garden. (She usually only sits in the hole if we spend extended time outside-I think to keep cool.) We decided to try walking her around the block at 1 a.m. and she seemed fine, except that she insisted my husband and I both go, which she does sometimes, but not often. Since then, she's been out in the mud hole all nite, except every hour or so she comes in, sits next to me on the couch for literally 2 seconds before booking it outside again (she usually sleeps in a bed on the floor of our bedroom). She is not bloated, or limping, or not eating. She seems fine except she looks a little lost and confused. On the walk, she was in full stride chasing a cat and seemed completely normal. She acts totally normal except when she's in the house.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Niki is having some trouble. While I can not say for sure what is going on without a full medical exam very often this type of behavior is due to a condition called Canine cognitive dysfunction. This is seen in older dogs and is similar to Senility/Alzheimers in humans.
There is a medication called Anipryl that is often helpful for this.
These dogs also benefit greatly from the supplements SAM-e and Omega fatty acids.

Here is additional information about this condition LINK

Problems with the thyroid and unfortunately tumors in the brain can also cause this problem so I would suggest having Niki seen by the vet for a full senior exam and blood work.

I hope this helps give you some things to discuss with your vet. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to continue