Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog has chewed the box that contains septic tank treatment.

My dog has chewed the box that contains septic tank treatment. We don't know how much he ate...we think a small amount no much. Our dog takes daily medication for seizures, phenobarbital and generic kepra. We thought he was having a seizure so we gave him his seizures meds. Do we need to take him to an emergency vet clinic...50 miles away?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Shadow. Most septic tank treatments can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. So i would not expect it to cause seizures. But if he continues to have seizures or is acting strangely it is better to be safe than sorry and I would have him seen at the emergency hospital. I know it is far away but it will be worth it just to make sure. But if he is otherwise pretty much back to normal I would just monitor him closely. Watch for any changes or strange behavior and watch for vomiting and diarrhea. If they occur have him seen by your vet in the morning to get him some meds to calm everything down. If he starts vomiting and cannot stop tonight though again have him seen at the emergency hospital. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so i receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I said I gave him seizure meds it was because we thought he was having a seizure as he does have them ocassionally even on a daily meds routine. He seems fine now. So you think we should just keep an eye on him and if he seems alright maybe just call our vet in the morning and see what she thinks?

Yes if he is back to normal and seems fine then just keep a close eye on him and have him seen by your vet tomorrow if anything is off. But most likely he will not have any problems.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead