Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
60411192

My 9 year old male mixed breed started biting on an area where

My 9 year old male mixed breed started biting on an area where he had stitches over 8 1/2 years ago. It is now red and some hair is missing. Vet gave him Silver Sulfadiazine 1% and Ciprofloxacin 500mg to take 2 times a day for 14 days.

I'm not one that likes drugs for people or animals so I'm concerned about the antibiotic - not the topical cream.

I received no directions other than how many times a day to use this stuff.

Three of us watch him constantly and he is NOT biting that area now. I do use the cream twice a day as recommended.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sherrie, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Maxx.
I do have a few questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. Are you wondering if you can discontinue the antibiotics since he's not biting at the area?
2. Do you think there's improvement with the cream alone?
3. Are you worried about side effects from the Ciprofloxacin? or that it's making it worse (since you say it's now red)?
4. Can you tell me how much he weighs?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you. #1 I'm alway concerned about antibiotics because they are over prescribed. #2 It has only been 1 day so I can't say he is OK yet but he is not biting that area. 3. Yes, I do worry about over doing drugs.

Today he weighs 101 lbs.

I'm wondering if I can just use the Silver Sulfadiazine Cream and forget the antibiotic OR is that a mistake?

Maxx has another appointment 10/2/2013.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Sherrie:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

I just wanted to double check the dosage of the Cipro and he's not being over-dosed; 500 mg twice a day for a dog his size would be appropriate for a skin infection.

But, I couldn't agree with you more about drugs being over-prescribed. We're starting to see resistance in veterinary medicine similar to human medicine and the profession as a whole has been taking a closer look at when and why we dispense them.

I suspect that Maxx has a hot spot from your description. Many of these conditions can have an infection associated with them but if his skin doesn't look too bad, then I see no harm in waiting to start the Cipro.

I would gently clean the area with dilute betadine or iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day; let it dry and then apply your cream. Other cleaning options would be anything with Chlorohexiderm in the label which has anti-bacterial properties.

I'd give it a few more days to determine if it continues to heal; if it doesn't, then you can always start the Cipro at that time.

I hope this helps and that he helps just fine without systemic drugs. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Sherrie:

I just wanted to thank you for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with your boy. I hope you'll keep me posted about him.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 12 months ago.
Sherrie:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maxx. How is his skin lesion? Deb
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Dr. Deb,

We took pics of his leg because it is too difficult to tell if things are working. We will take another one this weekend. I personally believe the iodine and the medicine are doing the job without antibiotics. He had a raw area and black in the middle which the vet said was dead tissue from his operation 8 1/2 years ago. Very confusing for me.

He is not biting it and the iodine and meds don't hurt him. If his leg looks worse then I will take him to another local vet. I do believe the iodine cleansing was a perfect idea. thank you again.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 12 months ago.
Sherrie:
Thanks for the update about Maxx.
And, glad to hear that you think the area is improving...at least it's not getting any worse.

I think your plan sounds reasonable to me. I hope he continues to improve but you should definitely know something by the weekend. Deb