Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi Candy, I have an 8 year old cocker. this morning she woke

Hi Candy,
I have an 8 year old cocker. this morning she woke up rushing me to the door. She had diarrhea. She has gone so much that is is now just a teaspoon of yellow liquid. She has began panting too. I did let her have a couple of small bites of steak last night, and we never give her scraps, do you think the steak could cause this diarrhea? Not thinking, it had steak sause on it which was a little spicy. Why is she panting so? really worried about her.
Hello, and thank you for trusting me to help you with Cassi today.

Diarrhea can be due to many things but yes one of the most common is a change in diet especially eating spicy human foods.

Panting is often due to pain or stress so I speculate that she is just having some stomach pain that is going along with the diarrhea

The Banana may help but it may be a good idea to try Pepto Bismol. This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight( Max strength is 1 teaspoon per 40lbs) every 6-8 hours.

I would fast her for 12 hours then try a bland diet of either boiled chicken or hamburger and white rice in small meals for the next 24 hours.

Some fatty and or spicy foods can cause pancreatitis so if she stops eating or has any vomiting then I would have her seen by the vet.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.