Dr. J.
Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.

My dog has wtery eyes with yellow goo in the corners and it

My dog has wtery eyes with yellow goo in the corners and it hurts him to move. He is very lethargic and won't eat. He'll drink a little but only if I cup the water in my hand.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 9 months ago.

Dr. J. :

Hi, sorry it took me a minute to get to you. Unfortunately, you are not going to be happy with what I am going to tell you. Based on the signs you are reporting, your pet cannot be nursed back too health at home. Taking him to the as soon as you can is the only thing to do in this situation.The signs you report need to be evaluated in person by a licensed veterinarian to figure out what is going on and to get proper treatment. Good luck, DrJ

Dr. J. :

Did you get my response?

Customer:

what is it likely to be?

Dr. J. :

I am not sure if you received my response or not but unfortunately in this situation with the signs you are describing this cannot be handled at home. Your pet is getting dehydrated and weak due to not being able to take food in. He may have a fever. The signs you are describing are not specific for anything.Some signs that we see with disease are non-specific meaning that the signs can be associated with a whole array of diseases. Does that make sense?

Customer:

We think his has swollen lumps on the rear of his back on each side. Does that mean anything?

Customer:

He's also very stiff and yelps when he moves.

Customer:

His back leg seems stiff

Dr. J. :

Again, it is very hard to say. If one of my clients called with these signs I would have to see the patient and at least run bloodwork to know what is going on. Some signs are specific and easily connected to specific conditions. Others like you are describing are very non-specific. I am truly sorry, I wish I could give you more information, it is just not possible in this situation. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Dr. J. :

Can I answer any other questions for you? I am sorry I cannot be of more help, but his signs are very non-specific for many infectious/inflammatory conditions.

Customer:

Don't take this as angry, itYou know I fix airplanes for a living and people call me all the time. I don't charge for talking on the phone but I at least give some ideas of what it might be, how serious it might be ect. If I can't narrow it down just makes it a longer explanation. Honestly you haven't even used one medical term, how do I know you are an expert?

Dr. J. :

That does not make me angry at all. I understand entirely what you are saying and if you would like I will be happy to give you some ideas. So, it is very likely he has a fever. A fever is a non-specific sign of disease. It usually represents an infectious/inflammatory process. This could be any tick borne disorder like lyme, ehrlichia, anaplasma, Babesia (depending upon where you live). It could also be Bartonella which is a tick transmitted or flea transmitted disease. He could also have some type of blood borne infection although not as common like viral things transmitted by mosquitoes. If he has lumps on his back,it is possible that those could be abscesses but unless he hasbeen in a fight with another dog, that would be unusual unless he is in some way immunocompromised. It sounds like this occurred fairly acutely but having said that we cannot rule out a neoplastic process which could have been present and now has manifested. Has this been more helpful?

Customer:

The lumps are very symetical on each side of his back., are there anything that can be inflamed there? It's back towards his booty on each side. We're in Arizona, single family home, private backyard, never see any ticks or fleas and he's our only dog.

Dr. J. :

Are the lumps next to the rectum?

Customer:

No, more like a few inches north of his tail on his back and then on the sides. Where I would say my kidneys are on a person.

Dr. J. :

Those sound like normal fat pads since they are on both sides and symmetrical. Many owners do not notice these until their pet has a problem.These are not likely to be the problem. The problem definitely sounds systemic. based on what you are telling me, if I were his vet I would want to run a CBC, chem panel and urinalysis at minimum. That is what I would do on one of my patients.I am truly sorry this is frustrating, but disease can present any way it chooses based on what organ system is affected. I am very concerned regardless of etiology, that your dog is getting dehydrated and has either an infectious or inflammatory process which will have to be treated in person by a veterinarian. I wish I could help you more and I am still happy to answer any questions that you have.

Customer:

I'm not dissapointed or frustrated, I just needed more information even if it's not a single diagnosis. We'll be going to the vet. Thanks.

Dr. J. :

No problem. I hope that what I have given you has helped and I certainly hope that Andy will do alright. Do you have any further questions for me?

Customer:

I think that what I needed, thanks.

Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience: I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 9 months ago.
Just checking in to see if Andy did ok and what the vet found? I certainly hope he is feeling better as I was very concerned about him! Also, if you need my help in the future, my areas of expertise are internal medicine, chronic disease, dermatology,infectious disease and rehab medicine and pain control. Please let me know how he did. Sincerely, DR. J