Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Our dog has a "Bulging" LHS rib cage, only noticed it about

Our dog has a "Bulging" LHS rib cage, only noticed it about 2 weeks ago, but it could have been like this for longer. Viewed from above I would would guess the LHS to be about 25mm wider than the RHS in relation to the spine. Otherwise she appears to be Ok? Eating, drinking, pooing and peeing all as normal. Loves the exercise but does look slightly out of condition as if at the close of a season. She was spayed early July. Our vet has asked us to monitor it, if we notice any change to take her in and he will do xray, bloods etc. Just worried having recently lost another 4 year old Pointer/
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions, just to ensure we're on the same track...

Is there any possibility of trauma?

Has Belle had blood work done in the last few months?

What did you lose the other dog to?

Were the other dog and Belle blood related?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have three English Pointers who are totally mental, the breeder of Belle after sending her photos thought it may have been the result of a side shunt from one of the others. After 2 weeks I'm not now convinced.

Belle has not had any blood work done in the last few months but she was spayed late July.

Our Tilly was not related to Belle and sadly had to be put to sleep after we were unable to control the symptoms and the pain of Masticatory Muscle Myositis

Have you noticed a change in the 'bulge' in the last 2 weeks since you discovered it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. But if we turn her head to the left she appears normal. If we turn her head to the right the bulge is more evident.

Thanks so much for the additional information David. I really appreciate it.

Of course, without any blood work or an x-ray, it's very hard to know for sure what is causing this bulge on Belle's side.

The good news is that it doesn't seem to have grown at all in the last few weeks. If this were something like a liver or spleen tumor, odds are it would have grown in size at least a little bit.

Since the loss of Tilly is so fresh, if this were my dog, I think I'd sleep better at night if the vet at least does an x-ray. Ideally, I'd like blood work as well as the x-ray, but if this is some sort of structural issue (tumor, old fracture to the ribs causing scar tissue to bring up that lump, ect) an x-ray will show the abnormality.

I am tempted to believe that this may be some sort of congenital issue that maybe you just hadn't noticed before. I know when I've lost a dog suddenly, I sure found lots of things wrong with my other dogs right after that...I think we tend to look at our remaining pets with a magnifying glass after a loss like Tilly.

If this were me...I'd get the x-ray.

I hope this helps.
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had Belle booked in at the vets for an x-ray and bloods on friday, vet cancelled on the day as he discovered on examination that Belle had a high temperature and a bad throat infection, around the tonsils, he would not anaesthetize her!

Now on antibiotics for a week. I'm to give him an update on monday, if we have some improvement then he will do x-ray and bloods on coming friday.

Thanks to some research from the breeder we have since discovered that our Belles mother, Maisie, also had a slightly lopsided rib cage, only really noticable when underweight, as is the case with our Belle..... although the other dogs in the same litter as Belle are all normal

You may have been correct in your diagnosis that it could be "congenital".

I'll keep my fingers crossed for congenital!!