Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hi Two days ago my 14 year old dog has just had a bad case

Two days ago my 14 year old dog has just had a bad case of vomitting and diarrhea - mostly watery except one occasion vomitted very frothy liquid. Because she had pancreatitis 7 months ago took her straight to vet who gave her an injection of cerenia. He didn't think it was pancreatitis. On way back to vet she was sick twice in the car (only 3 miles to home) with watery liquid and then over the next few hours was in and out of the garden every few minutes bringing up liquid and diarrhea now as not watery but brown liquid. Couldn't keep water down. Anyway, now recovering and back to eating small amounts of food and drinking ok and generally perking up. However, there is an attrocious smell from her bottom all the time (not anal glands). I have never come across this before. Any ideas?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

One of the things those of us in the field learn pretty rapidly is that loose stool scent can range from very, very, very gross to almost nothing.

The fact that Meggie has been having loose stools for a couple days makes me think that she's just got some really foul smelling stool.

Part of it could be that she's got residual stool left on her rear after defecating. You could try either bathing her, or if she's too big or doesn't want to have a bath, you can wipe down her whole rear end (around the rectum, her tail and down the backs of her legs) with a warm cloth and gentle soap.

Hopefully as the diarrhea resolves, the stool wll firm up and then won't smell quite as bad.

All that being said, as long as she's up to date on vaccines...I don't think we're dealing with things like Parvo (which also has an extremely foul smell), of course, if she isn't up to date on vaccines, then it might be something to look into...but I really do think that this is just a case of some really fould smelling diarrhea.

I hope she's feeling better soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. She has not been to toilet now for 24 hours which I would expect considering how bad she was. I have bathed her around back passage to no effect so she is clean and there is no discharge from her back passage. Definitely not Parvo.

I have come across dogs who have bad wind after suffering the runs but not one that smells continuously.

I wish I could say that I've never seen dogs who smell bad for a long time after diarrhea...