Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My Cocker is trying to poop several times and nothing is happening

My Cocker is trying to poop several times and nothing is happening then all of a sudden it comes out like water. Does this indicate a blockage?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear cricket is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How many times has this happened?

When did she last pass normal stool?

Has she had any vomiting?

When did you start the fast( not feeding)

Does she have a habit of eating nonfood items or other things that could lead to a blockage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her last normal stool would have been on Monday. There has been no vomiting. She will try to eat just about anything. I started the fast this morning. This happened a few times yesterday and at least twice today.

Thank you for the additional information.

Can this indicate a blockage yes but it can indicate a few other problems so try not to panic just yet.
This can also happen if they have been constipated for a few days and the stool becomes rock hard allowing watery stool to pass through.

If it has happened twice today then it could also just be diarrhea. Often when they have diarrhea they have an increased urge to go and will strain and strain a few times before the diarrhea is produced.There are many possible cause for diarrhea the most common being:

*Intestinal parasites. Not just worms but also microscopic protozoa such as coccidia and giardia Click here
* Dietary indiscretion - Eating something they should not
* Diet changes
* Colitis
* IBD
* Bacterial infection.

With a blockage we also see vomiting right after eating or loss of appetite and in some cases abdominal pain.

I would continue with the fast for a full 24 hours . Pepto Bismol may help as well.This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 6-8 hours.If Max strength Pepto use 1 teaspoon per 40lbs.

I would also feed a bland diet starting tomorrow of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice for the next few days.

If the diarrhea lasts more then 3 days she starts vomiting or seem painful I would get her in to see the vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy