Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My lab dog who is 6 years old keeps getting sick after eating

My lab dog who is 6 years old keeps getting sick after eating and then will drink huge amounts of water any idea what is wrong ??
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

There are a couple of illnesses that would cause this. IF she is an eater of none food items such as bones, rawhides, grass, etc. Then they have a potential to cause a blockage of the intestines which would have them vomit up water and anything else they eat. All of the vomiting though may be making her thirsty so that is why she is drinking more.

If she eats any fatty human food such as ham, pork , steak , gravy, etc, then that can cause pancreatitis .

If she got into any type of garbage then that can cause garbage gut.

Of course given the dog's age it could be something more serious.

What I would do is check her gums they should be a bubble gum pink, if they are pale or white seek vet care. Press and release one finger on the gums, that area should go white then turn back to normal within a second. If it takes 2 seconds or longer or less than one second it is an emergency. Check the temperature rectally, it should be between 100.5 and 102.5 anything higher or lower and the dog should be seen. A fever can indicate infection inside. I will direct you to a site that will tell you how to check all vitals.
Should this be due to just upset stomach what you can do is fast the dog for 24 hours (can have water) then start a bland diet of boiled chicken (no fat, skin, grease) and cooked white rice. Give only a couple of teaspoons (or table spoons for large breed dogs) and then wait 4 hours. IF the dog holds that down you can give a couple more, wait another 4 hours and if the dog holds that down you can start adding some of the dog’s normal kibble in with the bland diet. Between the fasting and the bland diet it should give the intestines the time they need to be less inflamed.

Below you can see more on the other things I discussed.
Garbage toxicosis

obstruction of the bowel

Hello Michael,
I am just checking in to see how Dizzy is feeling.