Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hello My rat terrier just had a seizure and this has never

Hello My rat terrier just had a seizure and this has never happened before. I am worried what can I do?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Yankee has had a seizure. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Any chance he got into anything toxic?

Is he on any medications?

Any previous medical problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No to all of those. He has always been hyper and in good health. I have four other dogs and they are all fine so I don't think they got into anything.

Thank you .

The first thing I want to say is don't panic. I know how scary it is to see them have a seizure for the first time so I understand.

Seizures can be due to many things and some dogs will have one and they never happen again. Some of the most common causes are
* Problems with the liver such as a liver shunt
* Problems with the thyroid function
* Tumors in the brain( more common in older dogs)
* Diabetes
While these are all common reasons for seizures to begin, in many dogs around this age the problem is idiopathic epilepsy meaning no actual medical cause can be found
Here is some additional information on seizures and the possible causes LINK

As long as the seizures has stopped I would just keep an eye on him for tonight. If he should have another seizure tonight then I would have him seen at your local ER.

I would give your vet a call in the morning if he does ok the rest of the night and schedule an exam and blood work. In most cases no medications are given with the first seizure and are not started unless the seizures start happening often or last longer. Phenobarbital is one of the most common medications used to prevent seizures in dogs.

Again I would just keep an eye on him for tonight and hopefully no more seizures will happen before you can have him seen by your vet.

I hope this helps . Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy