Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My 14# XXXXX mix chewed open a Walgreens gel cold pack.

My 14# XXXXX mix chewed open a Walgreens gel cold pack. It says it's non-toxic, and he could have only ingested a very small amount, if any. Are these things toxic to dogs?

Dr. Scarlett :

Customer:

Hi!

Dr. Scarlett :

If it says it was non-toxic and he hasn't shown any problems in the 2 hours since he ate it, I think he should be fine. Anytime a dog eats something he shouldn't have, there is a possibility of stomach upset--vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Dr. Scarlett :

How much hydrogen peroxide did you give Ikey?

Customer:

That's good. I figured I'd check just to be sure. Oh, those Jack Russels. I have 3 that I adopted from Main LIne Animal Rescue, and it is hard to keep tabs on them. They are always up to something.

Dr. Scarlett :

That is true!

Customer:

I used a small B12 syringe that I took the needle from. I gave him 3 syringes - 2 to begin with and then an additional one when he didn't throw up.

Customer:

That usually makes his 11# "brother" throw up.

Dr. Scarlett :

For his size, he could have 10-30 ml. I'm going to guess that the B12 syringe is 1 ml, so 3 ml just may not have been enough. Perhaps his brother is just really sensitive! Even if the B12 syringe is 3ml, 9 ml is still on the low end.

Customer:

Should I get a bigger syringe, or is there a better way to give it to them?

Dr. Scarlett :

10 ml = 2 teaspoons and 30 ml = 1 tablespoon. You could measure it that way and put it on a small piece of bread. Or ask your vet (or check in a pharmacy) for a bigger syringe/eye dropper.

Dr. Scarlett :

But I wouldn't bother giving him any right now--just for future reference!

Customer:

The brad is a great idea! I appreciate it. I won't give him anything right now.

Customer:

Thanks for your help! It make me feel much better.

Customer:

That's bread. (above)

Customer:

Take care.

Hi Robert,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ikey. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett