Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a six year old german shepard who developed red spots

I have a six year old german shepard who developed red spots in his groin area. Also, noticed red rings, about the size of a quarter, in a few areas that seem very tender to touch. What is your recommendation?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Without seeing it I can not say for sure what is going on, however what you have described is often due to a bacterial staph infection of the skin. Read more about this problems here

In most cases this does require oral antibiotics to completely clear so I would suggest having this looked at by the vet.

Until you can get him in you can wash the areas twice daily with Betadine diluted to the color of tea rinsing well. You also want to wipe all areas twice daily with benzoyl peroxide wipes( acne wipes). Some cases will clear up with at home treatment so as long as it is not getting worse you can try this for a few days if you can not get him in tomorrow.

If he is itching or licking the areas then oral Benadryl may help. This is dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours.
If he is licking I would also recommend getting a e collar either at your vet or the local pet store. If he licks this will not clear up and may get worse.

I hope this helps . Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please remember to provide a rating before exiting the site.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could this affect his walking? He has developed a limp a little while ago. Could this cause this?

No this would not effect his walking and would not cause a limp. Limping could be due to many things including but not limited to
* Joint or ligament injuries
* Arthritis
* Tick borne illness
* Bone cancer
I would also suggest having this limp evaluated by your vet
Hello Thaddeus,

Just checking in to see how things were going with Bo's skin condition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's find now. Brought him to our vet and she gave us "Mal-A-Ket" wipes. It worked or working great. Spots are almost gone.

I want to thank you very much for your follow up, it means a lot...

Thank you again! Ted

You are very welcome Ted. I am happy to hear Bo is doing better. Please give him a good pet from me and thank you for taking the time to update me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No... Thank you!