How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Candy Your Own Question
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11612
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Candy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just read that grapes are highly toxic for dogs and I didnt

This answer was rated:

I just read that grapes are highly toxic for dogs and I didn't know this before feeding my 2 year old Beagle about 10 grapes about 24 hours ago.
I haven't been to the backyard to check his stool and / or if he has vomited, but he was fine when I got home last night, and this morning he woke me up as usual to go for a walk.
He seemed completely fine when I left the house this morning (which was about the same time I feed him the grapes the day before)
Please help! Do I need to take him to the vet even if he hasn't shown any symptoms yet?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that you are worried about Rocco getting some grapes.

You are correct that grapes and raisins are toxic, Both can result in kidney failure.
Some dogs are more easily effected then others, however Rocco did not get what would normally be considered a toxic amount.
Kidney problems are believed to occur at amounts of 32grams per kg of body weight with each grape weighing around 2 grams. In Rocco's case the 10 grapes he received would be below this toxicity level and should not result in any problems.
While under the toxic level as mentioned above some dogs seem more sensitive them others so I would watch for problems such as loss of appetite, vomiting,increased drinking and or urination which can all be signs of kidney failure.
Click here for more on grape toxicity

I suspect Rocco will be just fine but I would avoid giving these in the future.
Here is a list of other humans foods that may be toxic to pets LINK

I hope this helps ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please remember to provide a rating before exiting the site.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!


I will keep monitoring his behavior.

Last night he ate normally his food, and this morning I gave him a treat after walking and he ate it normally.

So I think no loss of appetite!


Thanks so much for your help!

You are very welcome, I am glad I was here to help.
Candy and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Monica. Just checking in to make sure things are still going well with Rocco and he had no problems from the grapes.

Related Dog Questions