Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Adopted a pit puppy that had been abandoned outside at

Adopted a pit bull puppy that had been abandoned outside at 4 weeks. At first the puppy appeared to have a separation anxiety when left alone. He would screech and cry when someone was not with him. He has appeared to have gotten over that for the most part now, as he is about 8 1/2-9 weeks. We take him out in our backyard and he seems to be ok. Yet when we take him out the front and try to take him for a walk he cries and screeches. Could this be some sort of anxiety he associates with having been abandoned? If so how could I address this?

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem

Sally G. :

I do believe it has something to do with the history of the dog you are not aware of

Sally G. :

What I would do is take it very slow.

Sally G. :

Do you have a porch or steps in the front?

Customer:

yes

Sally G. :

okay that is where I would start and keep it brief at first , only two to three seconds , in and out, then gradually build up the time from ther

Sally G. :

*there

Sally G. :

At nine weeks you can still hold him in your arms?

Customer:

yes

Sally G. :

Okay so hold him, step in and out of the door and each time stand a little longer with him.

Customer:

still on the small side. Think he might have been the runt of the litter, which may be why he was abandoned

Sally G. :

Keep a hot dog in one hand fairly secure so that he can only get in nibbles so he begins to associate going out that door means something special

Customer:

ok...sounds like a plan.

Customer:

ok...thank you

Sally G. :

You are welcome.

Sally G. :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

nope...all good thank you