Dr. J.
Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
27344366

I am a 65 year old man who is looking to buy a dog. I LIVE

I am a 65 year old man who is looking to buy a dog. I LIVE IN A 2 BEDROOM APT. ALONE AND WONDERED IF A sharpi would be a good dog for me, I would have him with me all the time, and takeing him for walks would be no problem, I don't care for smaller dogs, and larger ones wouldn't be feasable. I have a hearing diadility and thought he could assist me with phone calls, knocks at the door the coffee pot whistle and such. I Don't like yappy dogs and I am not the most enerjetic person, but could devote alot of time with him. Your expertise on all aspects of this breed would be much appreciated. Thank You Roddy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. J. :

Hi, I certainly understand your dilemma with wanting to pick the right dog. Sometimes, it can be a very difficult decision. There are obvious advantages to a Sharpei as it sounds like you have already done your research as long as you are willing to deal with the extensive skin problems these dogs have. I have practiced in a hospital with a very high dermatology case load for 23 years and this breed has more skin problems than the majority of other patients I see. So, if you are willing to deal with this aspect of ownership,then I think a Sharpei would be a good companion. The other dog you might consider would be a Cavalier King Charles as they do well in smaller living areas but they have their share of health problems as well. I have seen some smaller labs that were low key and did really well in a smaller environment and they definitely have less health problems. But the smartest dog you could own would be a poodle. I know you said that you did not want a small dog but these dogs are highly intelligent, usually great companions and generally willing to do whatever their owners want. And they have less health problems than Sharpeis or Cavaliers. The poodle you would want to get would be a miniature size which is in between the standard and the toy. Having said this,if you have your heart set on a Sharpei,they do make good companions and guard dogs but they are just not very healthy in general and you would need to be committed to spending alot of time at the vet. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance or answer any other questions for you. Sincerely, DrJ

Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience: I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Just wondered if you decided what type of dog you are going to get? Best of luck with your search. Sincerely, DrJ