Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog ate some diclfenac 50 mg not sure how much and how long

My dog ate some diclfenac 50 mg not sure how much and how long ago but it has been a couple of hours. We gave him salt when we realized what happened to make home vomit. He did didn't see any pills. He ate more dog food and drank some water. Now he is sleeping with no sings of any problems. Should we be concerned? Jon
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Dexter.

Ideally, if it was already over 1 hour, I would have not suggested inducing vomiting. I am a little nervous that the salt may actually cause more gastrointestinal distress than the complication from the diclofenac.

We really don't use this particular drug in dogs, so difficult to say what toxicity could result. Fortunately, your dog is not a little maltese, so that does help.

At this point, I would say there is nothing further to do. But! You must be on close look out for any distress.

Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Also!
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Prilosec would be the best followed by the Pepcid A.C. to help the stomach.

But, if any concerns come up, especially if any more vomiting, bad diarrhea or any blood in stool, get to a vet.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Jon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dexter. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dexter is doing very well. Thank you, Jon

Great!
Happy to hear it Jon.