How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16074
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 50 lb. dog ate about 3/4 oz. of a Hershey Chocolate bar.

This answer was rated:

My 50 lb. dog ate about 3/4 oz. of a Hershey Chocolate bar. He seems fine but should I bee concerned
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Clearly Buddy hasn't gotten anywhere near that amount, so I dont' think there's anything you really need to worry about.

If Buddy were mine, I'd adopt a watch and wait posture.. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and, worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizuring or dying from chocolate. I would also keep an eye open for tense stomach, attempting to vomit or defecate with no success and abdominal swelling as this can be a sign of intestinal blockage from any leftover candybar wrapper that he may have ingested.

I hope this helps!
Lisa and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions