Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 50 lb. dog ate about 3/4 oz. of a Hershey Chocolate bar.

My 50 lb. dog ate about 3/4 oz. of a Hershey Chocolate bar. He seems fine but should I bee concerned
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Clearly Buddy hasn't gotten anywhere near that amount, so I dont' think there's anything you really need to worry about.

If Buddy were mine, I'd adopt a watch and wait posture.. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and, worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizuring or dying from chocolate. I would also keep an eye open for tense stomach, attempting to vomit or defecate with no success and abdominal swelling as this can be a sign of intestinal blockage from any leftover candybar wrapper that he may have ingested.

I hope this helps!