Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hi Dr. Marie I have a question regarding my puppy Gracie... She

Hi Dr. Marie I have a question regarding my puppy Gracie...

She was born in mid May and was such a beautiful puppy. A month or so after she was with us she began developing little tiny bumps under her chin and all over her belly. Her appetite is the same and she does not vomit, she drinks water and has regular bowl movements. But now she has what looks like two scabs on her head, the skin under her chin looks like it's sagging and she has lost a lot of her fur and the bumps are back. Can you please help, I don't have the money for the vet but don't want to make her suffer either...
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Are the areas where Gracie has lost hair crusty?

Where is the hair loss?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa,

Yes the areas are crusty...on her head(she has two scabs that I have been putting Neosporin on), under her chin...actually her whole body is very dry and somewhat crusty. She has lost a lot of her hair all over her body as well.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it Jennifer.

In a puppy as young as yours, the very first thing I think of for these weird patches is mange (which is pretty common in puppies).

There are actually two types of mange mites: sarcoptes and demodex. In order to effectively treat the mange, you first have to identify which type of mite it is that is causing the problem. This can only be done at your vets office. During the appointment, your vet or tech will take a skin scraping of the affected area and will check under the microscope to identify which type of mite you have.

Demodex looks like this:

And here's some information on Demodex:

Sarcoptes looks like this:

And here is some information on Sarcoptes:

Regardless of which type of mange mite your dog has, it will require veterinary treatment to ensure that the mites are completely eradicated.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would these mites cause her weight to fluctuate? I feel so so very bad because she just looks sad and although she has energy most times, she stays in her bed a lot, and even though we bath her she has an awful Oder...I just want to cry...

They absolutely could. Especially if she's inflammed.