Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

we have a 13yo black labrador retriever w Laryngeal paralysis

we have a 13yo black labrador retriever w Laryngeal paralysis and today we noticed blood in his loose stool. never happened before. drinks a lot of water day and night. does not appear to be in any pain but definitely more lethargic than usual.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions....

Could Midnight have eaten something unusual?

Can you estimate how much blood you saw?

Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no meds at the moment, but was in the yard eating grass over the weekend. blood. half a cup of blood, few ounces.

Thanks for the additional information Rodney. I really appreciate it.

Dogs may have a little bleeding or discharge from the rectum for a couple reasons: damage done to the rectum while defecating, certain types of cancer, impacted/infected anal glands, parasite infection and polyps are just a few.

If there is only a small amount of drainage around the area and/or if he only had the one episode of blood in the stool, I would just keep an eye on it for now. Sometimes dogs will try to pass a large amount of fecal material and can cause small tears in their rectum. These generally will heal on their own without any sort of medical intervention. Feeding the dog some canned pumpkin (make sure that it's only real canned pumpkin, not the pie filling) can help make the stool a little easier to pass, thereby helping to not tear things any further.

Parasites such as worms and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia can produce blood in the stool and blood from the rectum after bowel movements. You can read about these here:

A problem with the anal glands can also cause a bit of bleeding. You can find more information on those here: .

You can read about rectal polyps here:

Whatever the cause, bloody rectal discharge is never normal and I think it's a VERY good idea to give your vet a call when they open and have them take a peek at him, just to be sure that this isn't something more serious than just a little tear from defecating.

I hope this helps!