Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I just saw this question about a dog licking her feet. My dog

I just saw this question about a dog licking her feet. My dog Radar licks his feet too.
He seems to enjoy it and does it when he gets comfy ,yet it seems he has OCD about his feet. I will hold my hands over his feet and he will try to move my hands to get at them. Can A dog have OCD ? He loves his feet! Kinda like thumb sucking.
Know other problems
Hi Marilyn,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
Does he lick his feet all the time? If not, how much time do you think he spends licking them?
Does he have hair loss or red skin between his toes as a result?
Do they become raw or inflammed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He licks his feet 80 % of the time when he lays down to rest or sits in our lap watching tv.

Hair is a little thinner on feet. Not red

Hi Marilyn,.Dogs can indeed develop behavior considered to be OCD. Often in a case such as you are describing, the dog develops skin infection, hair loss and even sores in the area, so stopping the behavior before it gets too much worse would be recommended. Often this licking behavior starts due to an allergy condition or thyroid issue. Those are things you would want to ask your vet to check for. .A dog that licks their paws often frequently develops a yeast infection causing hair loss and inflamed skin. If it progresses to that point, you would want to soak the feet in epson salt water and apply neosporin or miconazole cream 3 times a day until it clears up. I personally would think about having her Vet check for a thyroid condition if it becomes worse or she develops any aggression issues or hair loss on other parts of her body..Frequently a dog will start licking for a specific reason such as a cut or insect bite and continue long after the original cause is gone. This can develop into Acral lick dermatitis or lick granuloma. You can read about this here:

You can read about some treatment methods on this site:

Since you asked about OCD, I thought you would enjoy this article on the condition.

At this point, it doesn't seem he is doing too much damage to himself, but I would try to stop the behavior if you can. Baby socks might help stop him from using them to comfort himself. A dap collar that uses pheromones to calm dogs might also help stop the behavior since it mimics the pheromones produced by a nursing mom to calm her pups. You can purchase these at the pet store, online or at the vet office.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Hi Marilyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Radar. How is everything going?