Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our female dog Coconut is 16 years old. She is going thru Old

Our female dog Coconut is 16 years old. She is going thru Old Dog syndrome (Thats what I call it) Her eye sight is going , She seems to be hard of hearing and her immunme is low. Her hair has become thinin some spots
Coconut is having a hard time with fleas this year. We use the monthly flea gel and bathe her yet she is still itchy and smelly! Coconut is part collie and Eskomo. Her hips are not working very well one back leg has a limp and she can be knocked down very easily.
We give her some msm type products for dogs with this type of problem.
She don't seem to be in pain yet I feel awful tha she is having such a hard time.What else can we do? She has had no problems her whole life. None. When is it time be humane?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear Coconut is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

You mention that she smells have you had her seen by the vet to see if this is due to bacterial or fungal infection. I ask because flea do not normally make them smelly.

What type of MSM product are you using and does is also contain glucosamine?

Is she still eating and drinking well?

When was blood work done last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the products have glucosamine, They work well and do improve her movement.

Our Vet told us last year that coconut had arthritis and to give her this type of product. If it gets worst pain meds will help.

Coconut eats and drinks not as much as she use to and sleeps more too.

Oh I almost forgot in 16 years has never pee'd in the house this past month and half she has gone 4 times in the house or screen porch.

Blood work last year all was fine.

I do notice if we change her food she gets smelly but not like know

Thank you for the additional information.

I am happy to hear the supplements do have glucosamine and that it is helping.

Often when we change the food to ones that are high in grain it increases yeast production and that does cause them to be smelly. This is not the only reason for an increase in yeast production which is why I asked if you had this looked at by your vet. Itching and smell are often due to a yeast infection of the skin and special shampoos and in some cases oral medication are needed to clear the problem.
Some dogs that itch a lot due to fleas will also develop either a secondary yeast or bacterial infection.

I would suggest having your vet take a look at her to see if medication is needed. Until you can get her in some things you can do to help are
* Get an antibacterial/anti fungal shampoo either from your vet or the pet store just be sure it is antibacterial/anti fungal. Bathe 3 times per week for 1 week then twice a week for 1 week then once per week for 2 weeks.
* Oral Benadryl will help with itching. This is dosed at 1 mg per pound of body weight 2-3 times per day.

As for when is it time to let go that has to be a personal decision for every pet owner. We suggest watching for quality of life to decline meaning is she in pain, is she not doing the things she used to enjoy, is she separating herself from the family etc. When there is no longer quality of life then it is time to consider letting go.

As for peeing in the house this is also something we see in senior pets. This can be due to loss of muscle tone causing incontinence medical illness such as kidney disease or diabetes( this can also effect eye sight) or even a condition called Canine cognitive dysfunction which is similar to senility in humans.

If she has not been seen since last year I would suggest getting her in for a yearly exam and new blood work as well as having the skin checked.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy