Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog had a blood filled cyst filled with blood that burst.

My dog had a blood filled cyst filled with blood that burst. Now there is a hole on his left leg/elbow. What should I do? I have applied neosporin and bandage the area.

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is the area currently bleeding?

Does it seem painful to Coco?

How long ago did it rupture?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not currently bleeding. Does not appear to be painful. Yesterday. He was at the kennel while I was out of town. I got back today. I noticed the cyst before I placed him in the kennel on Friday. I developed over a 24 hour period.

Thanks so much for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since you stated that bump popped up so suddenly, it sounds like it might have been something like a blood blister, only bigger....a lump that happened due to trauma of some sort.

The fact that it's not actively bleeding and he doesn't seem painful, is a good sign. At this point, you can keep an eye on them. I'd wash the area 2-3 times a day with a gentle soap and warm water (baby shampoo works great because it doesn't sting). Then pat it dry and keep applying the Neosporin. Try to keep him from licking the area. Hopefully the fact it's on his elbow will limit how close he can get to it. I would leave it uncovered, as long as it's not bleeding. Allowing air to get to it will help it dry out and crust over.

Keep an eye out for signs of infection. We're going to watch for things like the area being hot to the touch, swelling, increased discharge, bad smell...or if he stops eating or acts like his limb hurts, then you should have him seen b y a vet, just to be on the safe side...however, I suspect with daily washing and the Neosporin, it'll get cleared up in no time.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you soooo much. That's what I thought. The vet recommended surgery which he did not suggest when I noticed it at the time I dropped him off. At that time he stated lets just watch it.

Since it has burst, now he recommends laser surgery, lab work to rule out cancer, etc. I thought it was overkill.

I will take the bandage off and let the wound get air.

Are the signs of infection hot to the touch, increased swelling, discharge, and bad smell?

Yep. Those are the sign of infection. At least the biggies. A dog can also become lethargic and not want to eat, so if he does that, then you should have the vet take a peek, but it's pretty rare that it happens.
Hey is Cocoa's elbow doing?