Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

i need to know how much Ativan i can give MY 50LB 10 YR OLD

i need to know how much Ativan i can give MY 50LB 10 YR OLD DOG i need to clip her nails it cost me 350.00 to get them clipped because she absolutly freaks out with clipping toenails so can u give me a dosage to give her .THANK you
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Lorazepam (also known by the brand name Ativan) is actually pretty commonly used in veterinary medicine. The 'normal' dose we can use safely is anything from 0.02–0.05 mg/kg up to three times daily.

So a 50 pound dog would get between 0.44 - 1.1mgs.

Of course, all medications are filtered through the body via the kidneys, so you absolutely need to call your vet and ask them if that's an appropriate medication to use with her.

Additionally, many benzos can have a peridoxal reaction in some dogs....this means that instead of making the dog calm and mellow, it actually makes them even more hyper and aggressive.

I do agree that $350 is an incredibly over inflated amount of money for them to charge you for a nail I recommend that you call a groomer in your area and see if they can trim her nails. IF you've been getting Baby Girl's nails done at the vet, it's possible that she reacts so violently because of the vet....not because of the nails. Groomers have spent their whole lives fighting with difficult dogs, so I woudln't be surprised if they could cut them with no meds at all.

I hope this helps.
Hi Vickie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby Girl. How is everything going?