Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

We have a 9 year old Poodle she licks her front paws raw What

We have a 9 year old Poodle she licks her front paws raw What can we do to help her stop this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Cinnamon is having some trouble.I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Has she been seen by the vet to be sure there is not a bacterial and or fungal infection causing the licking?

What brand food does she eat?

Is this problem all of the time or does it happen certain times per year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes she has been seen by our local vet .and been groomed and checked for infection regularly And she is spoiled she eats people food sandwich meats .small packets of chicken turkey beef ect. She has been doing this year round off and on mostly on She is a little heavy as we don't excersize her much. She gets plenty of attention when we are home. but we both work during the day but when we are home we will catch her doing it

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If she is licking the paws raw is would be abnormal not to see a secondary bacterial infection at the least. If the vet has not tested for bacteria or yeast that would be recommended.

The most common cause of chronic year round itchy ears or feet is a food allergies.Most people think it is only grains that dogs are allergic to but the truth is more often then not it is the protein source. Some of the most common food allergies are corn, wheat, soy, chicken, lamb, beef, fish and venison.Feeding human foods makes it much more difficult to pin down the problem
You will want to switch to either a prescription allergy diet or a limited ingredient diet.
If this is the cause then it will not get better until you find a food she can eat. You want grain free with a novel single protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo or bison.
If you do not want to go with a prescription diet from your vet we recommend Natural BaXXXXX XXXXXmited Ingredients line. Duck and potato or Bison and potato.Iam's also has limited ingredient diet available at the grocery store. It is in a sliver bag and is a whitefish and potato formula.
Here is this food
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/PandD.html

Here is information on how to do a food trial. The most important thing is that she not get anything but this food for at least 8 weeks this includes treats. If you want to give her treats he should have the treats that go with the diets she is on or you can use her food to make her treats.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1664&aid=143

Here is a recipe to make treats using the allergy food.

Homemade Treat Recipe

Yield: approx. two dozen treats
Using canned food:
  1. Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.
  2. Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2½ to 3 minutes.
  4. Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
  5. Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
  6. Do not freeze homemade treats.
For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
Using Dry Food:
  1. In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.
  2. Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.
  3. Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)
  4. Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
  5. Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
  6. Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
  7. Do not freeze homemade treats.

These dogs also benefit greatly from omega three fatty acids supplements.

They do make Omega fatty acid treats that are safe for dogs with food allergies
http://www.healthypets.com/omegatreats.html

Resicort which is a leave on conditioner is great for itching as well and can be used daily if needed. I have an allergy dog as well and I never run out of this.
http://www.allivet.com/ResiCORT-p/26862.htm

Over the counter Benadryl will help with the itching. This is dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours.

When you are not home it would be best to use an e collar to prevent licking and break the cycle.

Soaking the paws daily in a mix of 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar is also helpful for some dogs.

I would highly recommend stopping the human foods and doing a food trial for 8-12 weeks. After this time if the itching stops then you can start adding one human food treat at a time for 2 weeks and see if she starts licking the paws again.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Candy

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phillip,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cinnamon. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We got a prescription diet from vet and they also ordered a topical spray for us we are going to try that .Thank you very much for you concern

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I hope this helps. Please if you do not mind check with me in a few weeks and let me know if the diet change made any difference