Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi, My dog has a bloated belly for about 7-8 hours. I have

Hi, My dog has a bloated belly for about 7-8 hours. I have no way to get to vet until in another 8 hours. He seems his usual and fine. I have given him some fennel seeds and chamomile tea as well as homeopathic remedies. I have massaged his spine and belly. His belly seems not to hurt, but the bloating did occur after a meal and him drinking lots of water. Is there anything else I can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would be really worried about a twisted stomach (AKA GDV or bloat) here. Usually we see distension of the abdomen and often dry heaving or retching. It's good that you're not seeing retching. It may just be that the stomach is distended but has not twisted yet.

If the stomach did twist, then you really need to get to a vet. If it's true bloat, he'll be dead in 8 hours. They usually have a window of 4-6 hours to get to a vet and have surgery to untwist the stomach.

If you want to try something over the counter in case it's just some distension but not twisting, you can pick up some Gas-X and give him 2 capsules. This can help get the stomach to go down some. You can give it every 6-8 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. I really have absolutely no way to get to a vet until in about 8 hours from now. I live in a rural area in Puerto Rico... Should the worst happen, is there anything I can do to help him?

He is outdoors a lot and he and my other dog unfortunately manage to escape sometimes (which happened today) and then typically go for long runs into the wilderness. Could it be due to any other reason (him having eaten something)?

Thanks again!

If it does twist, then no there's nothing you can do. It's surgery or they die, unfortunately. Hopefully he just over-ate and you're seeing some bloating from a large stomach that is not twisted. In that case, the signs should slowly improve over 24-48 hours. Get an x-ray with a vet as soon as you can to know for sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. If it should twist before I can see a vet, is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

And for now, is there anything other than medicine (Gas-X) that I can give him to relieve the bloating?

There's really not any oral pain med you can give if it twists, because it won't make it to the stomach to get absorbed.

I would just give the Gas-X for now, that's your best defense tonight.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ