Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Hi! I have a 4 month old Yorki Poo, Bentley. He is limping

Hi! I have a 4 month old Yorki Poo, Bentley. He is limping around the house with his right paw lifted...so he's walking on 3 legs pretty much. He will not put pressure on it at all and if my husband or I try to put pressure onto it and bend it so he can sit it on the floor correctly, he whines. Im thinking it may just be sprained but im not sure. I dont want to take him to the vet and pay 400+ just for her to say he needs to rest and be monitored around the house for a couple days or something. Please helpp !!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Of course, without being able to see the dog in person and take an x-ray, it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's a simple sprain or something more serious. In cases of leg injuries in dogs, especially toy breeds because their bones are so fragile, I always recommend seeing your regular vet just to be on the safe side.

That being said, until you can get him in to see a vet, I suggest doing your best to keep him quiet. No running around, definately no dog park, just outside on a leash to go potty and then back inside. If he's used to being in a kennel/crate, you can keep him in there in an effort to keep him from jumping up on couches or running up and down stairs.

Normally I'd suggest some baby aspirin to help with the pain and inflammation, but since she is so tiny, there's no real safe dose, so we're going to have to use rest as the only way to keep her comfortable and not moving around.

If the leg still seems to get more painful, becomes swollen or if he is unable to bear weight on it the morning still, I suggest calling your vet or taking a trip the the nearest emergency vet and having them take a peek at it, just to rule out anything more serious than just a little sprain.

I hope this helps
Hi Talisha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?

Lisa