Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

my 6 year old wheaten was given a second 24mg tablet of cerenia

my 6 year old wheaten was given a second 24mg tablet of cerenia for nausea only 3 hours after the first by mistake. She vomited shortly after taking the second one. Is this a serious overdose? What should we do?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX The good news with cerenia is the dosage is between 2 mg/kg (for regular vomiting) up to 8 mg/kg (for motion sickness). So although the prescribed dose was doubled it is still well within the safe dosing range. So technically she was not overdosed and you should see no further side effects. I do not have a good explanation why she even vomited with the second dose but just monitor her closely for any further vomiting or abnormal behavior. Not from an overdose but because if she is still vomiting while on this medication. It is a very good anti vomiting medication so she should not vomit any more on the medication. I hope this helps. So again, no worries/no concerns. Just monitor closely. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you. She has pretty severe IBD and generally the cerenia fixes her nausea quite quickly and for 24hours. At what point do i need to take her to the emergency vet if she's still vomiting while on the cerenia?

You are very welcome. if she continues to vomit much more than 2 to 3 times in a 24 hour period while on the cerenia I would have her examined again to make sure nothing else is going on.