Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cocker is 4 yrs when I picked her up from boarding at first

My cocker is 4 yrs when I picked her up from boarding at first it sounded like she was sneezing. But it isn't and is not reverse sneeze. Only happens when she is standing. Other than that she is fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Abby.
A few points to address.

1. If she was sneezing or anything resembling it, this could still represent a subtle upper respiratory infection. Happens all the time. Now, this does not always require a course of antibiotics. If infrequent, not getting worse, and not resulting in any bad nasal or eye discharge, and still eating and drinking fine, you may be able to simply monitor her for several days to see if it changes in anyway.

2. Careful with those ears and a Cocker! As I am sure you already know, Cocker's are greatly predisposed to otitis externa (ear infections). So, just for extra information, here is all my general information about ear issues.

What you are describing sounds consistent with otitis externa (an ear infection).
This is usually caused by a bacterial and/or yeast infection. Ear mites tend to be more common in puppies/kittens or pets that remain outdoors.

Otitis Externa in Dogs

Over-the-counter treatments for ear infections. None of the below therapies, alone, are recommended in the treatment of an active bacterial or yeast infection. These are my best suggestions:
Zymox

Ear cleaner recommendations:
TrizEDTA: A ear flush specifically designed to work with antibacterial ear medications to help kill bacteria:
TrizEDTA Cleaner

Douxo Micellar Cleaner

Epi-Otic “Advanced” Cleaner

Ideally, the following would be done at your veterinarian,
Examination of the ear canal.
URL=http://www.mypetsdoctor.com/ear-cytology-for-dogs-and-cats]Ear Cytology[/URL]If the ear canal is dirty and not excessively painful, a deep ear flushing
A prescription for a ear medication and ear flush is sent home
If there is substantial inflammation/swelling, a steroid injection or oral medication is prescribed
If there is substantial bacteria identified on the cytology, an oral antibiotic should be prescribed

Great Summary about Ear Infections

How to Flush Ears

Just wanted you to have that info since there are some product suggestions as well.

Allergy pills.
Benadryl is frequently recommended, but the problem is that many allergy treatments require being given up to 3 times a day.

An alternative, just for you to consider is Zyrtec (cetirizine). Great product for pets. The dose is roughly 1mg per 2 pounds of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog could get 10mg tablet. Generally, most books suggest a medium to large breed dog starting with 10mg, and you can always increase from there. Just wanted to mention another allergy pill option since some antihistamines work better than others.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes I understand her ear problem but how does that relate to the sneezing sound when she gets upcan they be connected?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.
Hi Sandi,
No, not likely connected.
However, dogs with a primary environmental or food allergy, frequently do also get ear problems. So, I could connect a possible allergy contributing to at least part of the issues. As a guess.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Taking her to the vet tomorrow. Just do not know if she is trying to clear her nose of something. Only does it when walking and it is like when I sorta blow air out my nose sound but when she walks it is constant. The boarder said she started while she was there but does not know the day. She had her Kennel Cough meds about a week before she went. I am thinking she may have something in her nose. When laying down sleeping no problems. I get so worried. Hopefully waiting until tomorrow for the vet is okay. She has been eating, pooping drinking fine. Just the one ear but it looks okay now. I read about Foxtail i live in So IN. Just can't figure out why she is doing it. Not a sneeze or reverse sneeze...thanks, Sandi

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.
Generally, if there is a foxtail in the sinus, it wouldn't only be an issue at certain times. It is really a persistent problem. I would still be suspect of a allergy or sinus infection, as best guess.

If possible, next time it occurs, try to record on a camera video phone to show your vet. Might help a bit as well.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 months ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?