Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 10 year old chi is holding on to her stuffed animals and

My 10 year old chi is holding on to her stuffed animals and being extremely weird, not eating. She is not fixed. I took her to the vet and she had fleas has no recovered so why the weird behavior?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Rosa's situation. To best help, I need to ask some questions.

1) How long has she been not eating?
2) Is she eating any treats?
3) Is she having any vomiting?
4) Is she drinking water normally?
5) How long ago was the vet visit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One day not eating

Has taken Capstar for a week

Not vomiting

Not drinking water today, sleeping a lot, "mounting the teddy bear" like she is in heat but a little old for that so it is weird

Vet visit was 2 weeks ago

energy low

walked her last night (she goes on a wee wee pad) but she is walked everyday

I let her pee outside and sometimes she will #2

She is currently in her bed. She also, pooped in the bathroom yesterday which she knows is wrong, but she seems to be angry about something

She keeps scratching her gums as well. I have checked her for fleas 2x per day and they seem to have gone away, I also gave her Frontline as a preventative measure.

Please help.

Thanks!

In a situation like this with a female that is not spayed and having this "maternal" behavior - there has to be a consideration that she may have a false pregnancy going on. Some can have this and they can have nesting behavior displayed as well as mammary gland development and abdominal enlargement. Here is a good link on this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1896

If this is what is going on, then this isn't a bad situation and she will eventually come out of this on her own. There is no specific treatment for this.

But, at this time, I would hope that her appetite and drinking come back here in the next 12 to 24 hours. If it doesn't or if she starts to have vomiting, pain, weakness, collapse, pale gums, vaginal discharge, increased breathing effort or rate - then she should be re-evaluated by your vet to make sure that something else isn't going on. At her age, she could have something else going on. With her being intact, a pyometra (infection in her uterus) is always on the list of possibilities - but this usually doesn't have a sign of carrying around stuffed animals.

I'm hoping that she's back to herself here soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help and advice.

What should I do in the interim? I just forced her to drink water with peanut butter, she ate the peanut butter but not her food.