Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dogs toenail had been hurt a few days ago, then I could

My dogs toenail had been hurt a few days ago, then I could not see the exact problem, as there was a lot of blood and fur around it. I later clipped off the bloody hair around the nail & just waited to see what happened. Today it is still bleeding! I've found out that the nail whole nail is hanging off, being just attached by the ligiment. We will try to take him to the vet soon, but for now any advice on keeping him comfortable until then? I cleaned the wound again today, but it is just so painful to him. :(

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you with Buddy. I understand the nail is broken, but can you see any part of the nail remaing on the toe?

What have you been using to clean it and treat it?

Is he able to put the foot down at all?

Is he on any medications other than Heart worm preventative?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my mom actually just stepped on his toe by accident! The nail is completely off now. It has stopped bleeding, but we can tell it still hurts. We have just cleaned it with water & paper towel. I don't want to keep poking at it, so I will clean it again a little later. What cleaning formula would you suggest so it doesn't get infected? He is laying down at the moment, but I believe he can stand on it, it just hurts.

You can use a little Betadine solution that is diluted with some water to clean the area and then follow up with some Neosporin with Pain relief, to help with the pain. You can use a child's bootie or sock over the foot to keep the area clean. You can clean and reapply the Neosporin 3-4 times a day. If he seems very painful and is not on any medications you can give 5-10 mgs of plain aspirin per pound of body weight to help with the pain this can be given twice a day, but no longer than two days. You can read about using Aspirin here: Make sure you follow up with your Vet asap and let him know if you do give the aspirin, this is important so there will be a problem or contraindication if pain medication is needed. I do suggest you watch for swelling and redness which can indicate an infection. If that does happen, please get Buddy in sooner rather than later to the Vet. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. My goal today is to give you 100% excellent service. Joan