Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My dog seems to be in a great deal of pain from a skin infection

My dog seems to be in a great deal of pain from a skin infection and is crying constantly. We do not have a vet in the near vicinity on weekends. The only thing I have at my house is dilaudid or tranxene. She weighs 11.2 pounds. Can I give her anything and if so how much?

Hi Shanon, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm so sorry that Bella is so uncomfortable; I know this must be hard for you to see her this way.
I have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you please clarify what ACP stands for?
2. What dose of Benadryl did you give her?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ace promethiazine and 12.5 mg of benadryl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Benadryl 12.5mg and ace promethiazine

Thanks....just wanted to double check that we were talking about the same drug:)

I wouldn't expect Acepromazine to help a great deal with pain nor is Benadryl a very effective pain drug either (although your dose is correct for a dog her size). Benadryl can sometimes help with itching and scratching if it's not too intense and I'll often suggest if for this reason but it wouldn't help with discomfort.

While Dilaudid can be used in dogs, I'd be quite hesitant to advise you to give it to her since the side effects could be quite significant with respiratory and central nervous system depression as the most serious ones. Others might include: Nausea/vomiting, defecation, panting, vocalization, sedation and slow heart rate.
While it would be illegal for me to advise you to give her a drug which has been prescribed for a human or another dog, I can tell you that the dose for pain control in an 11.2 lb dog would be 0.5 mg 2-3 times a day.

Tranxene is also used but primarily for seizure control or for behavioral disorders such as might be related to phobia or anxiety issues. It doesn't have anti-pain properties.
If you thought anxiety might be a component of her behavior, then it could be given.

The same disclaimers for Dilaudid apply to this drug but the dose for an 11.2 lb dog would be 3.75 mg twice a day. Sedation and balance issues might be seen as side effects.

The above drugs should not be given together, in case you were wondering.

Another drug which you might consider because it does have anti-pain properties as well as anti-inflammatory ones would be Aspirin. As long as she's not currently taking any other n'said drug, her dose would be 81 mg twice a day (to be given witch food to avoid stomach upset.).

I hope this helps and that she receives some relief soon. Deb

I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with Bella.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb