Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

what is the proper dosage of benedryl to give to my 20 lb dog?

what is the proper dosage of benedryl to give to my 20 lb dog? I think she has allergies as she appears to have itchy ears and feet. I've been giving her 1/2 tablet of a 25 mg generic benedryl. It seems to help...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you with Bella.

The dosage for Plain Benedryl is 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Bella could actually take (1) 25 mg Benedryl safely every 8 hours. It may make her a bit sleepy, but should help.

I would consider giving her some Omega 3 supplements to also help. If the itching continues you may want to speak with your Vet about something longer acting, or some allergy testing to see if you can find the source of the problem. Many times we see food allergies causing problems. You may want to try a food like Natuarl BaXXXXX XXXXXD which is grain free and uses a novel Protein Source. Please let me know if you need further help. Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this information. Would allergies also attribute to some anus itching, particularly if it is food related? I checked it today and the anus tissue doesn't appear to be swollen. She tries to turn to the side and reach back over her side so I'm not sure if she is trying to reach her behind or just her back feet. Unfortunately, because she is overweight, she can't really twist too far. She is able to reach her back feet and will chew or lick at them. She will also chew or lick at her front feet. She has just really started doing this more within the last few weeks which is why we started her on the benedryl. When she is taking it, she seems to be fine. I am just trying to figure out if there is something more serious going on. She appears to be otherwise healthy and happy with no problems eating or going to the bathroom.

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Allergies can cause all types of itching, ear infections and problems. It is best to see your Vet and ask about a food trial and allergy testing, as I suggested. They also have medications that can be given that may work better than the benedryl and work longer term. The symptoms you mention we see in atopic allergies as well as food allergies, so it would be best to have Bella checked out for both. Allergens can be airborne, contact or ingested, so having a Vet check to determine what the cause of the itching is would help Bella. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.